Thursday, May 2, 2013

A letter to those struggling with physical illness


With my chronic fatigue, I sometimes have weeks where it's difficult for me to leave the couch for the greater part of the day.  When this sets in for many days in a row, the isolation and the longing for work, hobbies, friends, life can really start to get to me.  It's easy - so easy - to fall into despair.  Steven's been reading this book called The Heart of a Servant Leader that contains letters written by Jack Miller to people in a variety of difficult circumstances, and he shared this letter with me one evening last week after a particularly rough day.  Jack suffered with cancer at one point in his life and in this letter he's writing to a woman about to begin chemotherapy.  I found the advice and encouragement equally applicable for my own situation, and wanted to share for others who may be enduring physical limitations or sickness.  It was short and simple but powerfully convicting and encouraging to me to keep fighting and keep going back to the One who can really be trusted when you are helpless and hurting.

Shift Your Trust From Yourself to Christ

Dear Mrs. Jones,

Though I have never met you, I have heard that you have cancer and would like to hear from me.  You know I also have recently suffered from this disease - about the hardest time in my whole life. So I think I understand you.  Most important, do not think of yourself as a victim.  You are not a defeated person.

Fight despair by doing everything you can to maintain a normal life and work.  Struggle to keep yourself active and occupied.  Develop your sense of humor and creativity.  If you do not have the strength to do your ordinary work, find some new tasks to do.  Even if your "work" is only to drink a cup of tea every morning at 10:00 do it and enjoy it.  And if you have the opportunity, prepare a cup of tea for someone else.  Don't spend time thinking about yourself.  Keep exercising your body, and keep serving others even when the only thing you can give is a smile.

However, do not suppress your inward struggles with cancer.  Learn that a powerful hope can grow in you as you become honest with God.  When the symptoms of your illness frighten you or chemotherapy makes you nauseous, pray and tell Him how you really feel.  Admit that you are desperate.  Acknowledge the truth if your misplaced confidence has been in yourself and not in Him.  But shift your trust from yourself to God.  He's a lot bigger than you are!  When you are feeling well, it's easy to say, "I confidently believe that God will help me."  But what you really mean is, "I can handle my own affairs with a bit of assist from God."  So give up presumptuous self-reliance.  Discover the power of a living faith placed in a mighty God!  To trust Him, do these two things:

1. Ask Christ to show God's love to you.
2.  Read my pamphlet "How to Cope with Personal Crisis" at least three times.

Dear friend, make Christ your only hope.  Trust in Him and trust your life to Him.  Take this loving Lord into your heart.  Your security will not be in yourself or medical technology or diet but in God alone.  He will shepherd you in His mighty love through every trial that comes your way.  Be of good courage!

                                                                   Cordially yours,
                                                                   C. John Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment